Pork Humba Recipe
- 1/2 kilo pork belly, cut in serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion; chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup rice water
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
(or whole peppercorn)
- 2 tablespoons salted black beans (tausi)
- 1/2 cup dried banana blossoms
- Cooking oil
- Marinate pork in soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, and pepper for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Sauté garlic and onion.
- Add pork from the marinade.
- Stir fry for few minutes until pork starts to render its oily fat.
- Add rice water and marinade. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium fire.
- Stew until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add brown sugar stirring once in a while. Simmer until an oily sauce consistency is achieved.
- Balance seasoning with soy sauce, vinegar, or sugar according to your taste. Serve hot!