Beef Morcon Recipe
- 700g beef sirloin (sliced about 1/4 inch thick, you may request the butcher to do this for you)
- 4-6 pcs hotdogs
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered each
- 2-4 whole pickles
- 4 carrot sticks
- cheese slices (sticks)
- 200g tomato sauce
- 85g liver spread (1 small can)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- beef broth (or beef cube dissolved in about 500ml of water)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple – for a twist!
- 2 bay leaves
- ground peppercorn , to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp calamansi juice
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- Marinate beef with calamansi and soy sauce at least 2 hrs.
- Remove beef from marinade. Place the meat in a flat surface, then layer the stuffing – hotdogs,carrots, eggs and pickles in one side. Roll the meat once, then layer with cheese sticks. Roll again.
- Secure the meat with a string. I made two rolls with the ingredients above, if you want a bigger and thicker rolls, you can make just one beef roll instead, or use about a kilo of beef (I used only 750g).
- Heat the oil in a pan. Brown the beef roll. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tomato sauce, liver spread, crushed pineapple. Let it boil.
- Add the broth and bay leaves.
- Add the beef rolls, grated cheese and peppercorn. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hrs. I did not add salt since the cheese gave enough flavor. No need for cornstarch since the sauce is thick already. Reduce the sauce as preferred.
- When cooked, remove the rolls from the pan. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes, remove strings then slice. Serve in a plate with the sauce. Garnish.