SIZZLING BALUT RECIPE
- 4 balut, cooked and peeled
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 to 3 Thai chili peppers, minced
- ½ small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- pepper to taste
- In a bowl, lightly dredge peeled balut with flour.
- In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add balut and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Remove oil except 1 tablespoon from pan. Add shallots, garlic, ginger, chili peppers and bell pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, until softened and aromatic.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and water.
- Stir together until blended. Add to pan and bring to a boil. Add balut and continue to cook, gently turning to coat in sauce, until heated through and sauce is thickened.
- Season with pepper to taste. Remove from pan and arrange on sizzling plates. Garnish with green onions and serve hot.