Have you tried something new with your spaghetti? Why don’t you try spaghetti sardines also called sardinas pasta. Yes! We sometimes ignore this tightly canned fish but sardines have a lot of health benefits, experts say. Sardines are one of the ocean’s most sustainable superfoods. This is a great idea and a good way to get those omega 3’s. The Philippines is so fortunate to have seas that are teeming with a wide variety of marine life. Fish is aplenty and affordable especially in the southern part of the country. Because of its abundance, fish are canned straight from the sea to preserve their freshness and nutrient content. In this country, the ‘sardinas’ is known as the ‘poor man’s meat.’
Fish has become the average man’s staple in tandem with rice and veggies. Fish dishes are so easy to prepare and can be cooked in a hundred and one ways. As an important part of Filipino food, dishes with fish are proudly lined up along with other specialty dishes during special occasions.
Here is one delectable pasta dish with sardines that any ordinary Filipino will surely love. Easy on the budget and easy on the palate, the dish is packed with vitamins and nutrients.
- 500g spaghetti pasta, cooked
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 can chickpea
- 1 can sardines in tomato sauce
- cheddar cheese to top
- spring onion for garnish
- lemon wedges
- In a pan, saute onion, whole cherry tomatoes and garlic in little oil.
- Add chickpeas and chili flakes.
- Then add sardines with tomato sauce and simmer.
- Top it over the pasta and add grated cheddar on top. Garnish with spring onions and sliced lemon.