Sapin-Sapin Rice Cake Recipe
- 1½ cup Glutinous or Sweet Rice Flour
- 1¼ cup Rice Flour
- 1¾ cup Sugar
- 3 cups Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream
- ½ teaspoon Anise Seed
- Red, Yellow, Purple Food Color
- ¼ cup Ube Powder or Purple Yam Powder (optional)
- 2 cups Shredded Dried Coconut
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- Mix together the sweet and regular rice flours, sugar and coconut milk, strain until flour is dissolved.
- Divide the mix into 4, about 1¼ cup each bowl.
- Using yellow food color, put about 8-10 drops on one of the bowls, and mix in ¼ tsp anise seed. Set aside.
- Put about 8-10 drops red food color in one of the bowls, then add ¼ tsp. anise seed. Set aside.
- Measure ¼ cup powdered Ube and dissolve in one of the bowls, and add 4-5 drops purple food color. Set aside.
- Add the coconut cream to the last bowl to make it pearly white.
- Set the steamer, then prepare 2 pieces 6-inch aluminum foils by brushing the bottom and sides with oil.
- Starting with purple, pour half of the mix on each of the foils, steam for 7-8 minutes or until set.
- Then pour yellow, and cook for 7-8 minutes, same with the red and lastly the white.
- Separately on a shallow pan, toast the shredded coconut until golden brown, then cool down a bit and grind coarsely.
- To assemble, invert the cooked sapin-sapin cake on a serving plate, divide in 8 and top with coconut bits on center of each slice. Serve extra toasted coconut on the side.
- Source: Filipino-Food-Recipes.com
- Image: Youtube.com