- 1 head of garlic
- 1¾ pounds (about 3-4 medium potatoes), peeled + boiled
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF. Slice off the top of the head of garlic to expose some of the cloves and peel of as many outer layers of the garlic as possible.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Wrap the garlic in a piece of aluminum foil, place the foil on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the garlic is done. Let cool before removing cloves from paper.
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the flour and let cook for 1 additional minute, do not let the flour brown. Add the vegetable broth, milk, cream, thyme, salt and pepper, let he soup come to a boil, then allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, whisking a few times in between.
- Add the potatoes, 8-9 roasted garlic cloves, and parmesan cheese. Using an immersion blender (or use a blender jug) blend until smooth.
- Serve warm topped with additional parmesan cheese, crackers, and sliced scallions.