Looking for something sweet and creamy to satisfy your crave? You should try making this quick and easy yema recipe.
Yema is a type of custard candy made from egg yolks and condensed milk. This is a common Filipino dessert and one of the easiest to make. The ingredients needed are readily available and this does not require a lot of cooking and preparation time. Yema Balls are ball-shaped yema that are perfect for dessert.
There are several ways to present this dessert – the most common is the use of colored cellophane. The mixture is scooped and placed inside individually cut cellophane then manually molded until the shape becomes pyramid-like. Others roll the mixture until the shape becomes spherical and place them in a small paper cup or use some frill picks to go with it.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ kilo white suga
- In a frying pan or pot, mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, and vanilla until well blended.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Using a metal spatula, stir the milk as if you are scraping the bottom of the pan. Stir constantly.
- This must be done continuously to avoid burning the milk and to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- The mixture is ready when it forms a ball. Let it cool.
- When cool, form the mixture into balls about 2 to 3 cm in diameter.
- Place the yema balls on a wide plate with white sugar then roll; once coated, pick up each ball with a toothpick. Set aside to cool.
- When cool, wrap the balls in cellophane and twist both ends to secure.
- Source: www.choosephilippines.com/eat/recipes/1625/yema-filipino-dessert/
- Image: thenotsocreativecook.files.wordpress.com