Puto Flan / Leche Puto Recipe
- For the Flan:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (370g)
- 2 tsps. of lemon or calamansi juice
- For the Puto:
- 2 cups of All-purpose flour
- 4 tsps. Baking powder
- ⅔ cup of white granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 4 eggwhites
- 1¼ cup of water
- a few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)
- Create your flan first by mixing the egg yolks and condensed milk, then add the lemon/calamansi juice (if you are using an extract, reduce the measurement to 1 tsp)
- Heat water in you steamer, and then bring to a boil. Grease your puto moulds lightly, and fill them with your flan mixture about ⅓ full. You can use sauce dispensers made of plastic to make it easier to distribute your mixture.
- Steam your flan make sure to wrap your steamer cover with a towel, I kept mine on medium heat and steamed the flan for a good 20 minutes, make sure to check your flan once in a while and see if the flan is almost cooked and no longer in its liquid form, that means it’s ready. Set aside.
- Create your puto mixture. Sift your dry ingredients together. add your wet ingredients and mix, but do not OVERMIX. If you have another plastic dispenser, transfer your mixture.
- Add your puto mixture over your flan mixture and steam again for around 15 minutes. Or until it has risen and shows a shiny dome.
- Allow them to cool down before your remove them from the moulds to make sure that the flan and the puto stick together. Use a knife to loosen the puto from the mould and tap slightly to release.
- Source: MamaneesNest.com
- Image: 41.media.tumblr.com