Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup corn starch plus 1 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red chili pepper
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tsp salt
- oil for deep frying
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of one lemon
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Mix beaten egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix ¾ cup corn starch and flour, stir in water. Then add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Add the chicken and stir to coat.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Add chicken, fry in small batches at a time. Do not overcook the chicken, just fry it 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- You can make the sauce while frying the chicken. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed well.
- Drain chicken on paper towels and set aside. Clean the pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When the pan is hot enough, add the minced ginger and garlic. Stir fry for about 10 seconds then add the crushed red chilli pepper. Stir for 5 seconds then add the rice wine.
- Add the sauce and bring to boil. Add the cooked chicken, stir and mix well.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in in water. Add to chicken. Heat until sauce is thickened.
- Transfer in a plate, serve and enjoy