A lot of people go to the famous Filipino restaurant chain Max’s for their delicious fried chicken, but a close second to their hearts—and their stomachs—is the delicious sizzling tofu that Max’s prepares. Creamy, silky in texture with a hint of spice and heat from the chopped chilies, the secret down to this perfect marriage of healthy, tasty tofu squares with the sauce that you can’t stop dipping your spoon into is the mayonnaise, with some oyster sauce and dried parsley flakes for added zest. The crunchy bell pepper and onion and garlic keep this dish from being too cloyingly rich from the mayo. With a sizzling plate for presentation and a few minutes to mix the sauce properly, this is a perfect showstopper for any family meal. Though it’s easy to prepare, it’s certainly impressive to whip up a sizzling dish in the home.
- 100g firm tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pc small onion, chopped
- ¼ tbsp butter
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp liquid seasoning (Knorr)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp water
- cooking oil
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, liquid seasoning, onion powder, and water. Mix well until smooth. Set aside this sauce.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep pan or pot. Add the tofu. Deep-fry until golden brown. Remove from heat. Use a strainer to drain oil. Set aside.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan. Add the onion. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the green and red bell peppers, and the fried tofu. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add half amount of the prepared sauce. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Heat a sizzling plate on the stovetop. Melt butter onto it.
- Transfer the cooked tofu on the sizzling plate. Add the remaining sauce.
- Serve while hot and enjoy your sizzling tofu ala Max’s!