FOR CHICKEN TERIYAKI:
- 1 pc chicken breast fillet, sliced
- 1 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 cup Japanese soy sauce
- ¼ cup grilled carrot slices
- 1 tbsp grilled onion slices
- 1 tbsp grilled ginger slices
- 1 pc grilled onion leek
- 1 pc grilled chicken w/ bone
- ¼ cup sugar (for the chicken teriyaki)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
FOR SUSHI RICE:
- 2 cups cooked Japanese rice
- 3 tbsp sake vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp white sugar (for the sushi rice)
FOR MAKING THE TERIYAKI ROLL:
- 1 sheet nori wrapper
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- Bamboo rolling mat covered in plastic wrap (material needed)
PREPARATION OF SUSHI RICE:
- In a small bowl, combine the sake vinegar, rice vinegar, and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar-sugar mixture into the Japanese rice. Mix until the mixture is completely absorbed by the rice.
COOKING THE CHICKEN TERIYAKI:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion then sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Add the chicken breast slices. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat then set aside.
- On the same pan, add the Japanese soy sauce, grilled ginger, grilled onion, grilled carrot, grilled onion leek, chicken w/ bone, and sugar. Bring to a boil then remove the solid ingredients.
- Put the chicken breast slices back onto the pan with the boiling sauce. Cook for 2 minutes so the chicken will absorb the flavor of the sauce.
- Remove from heat then set aside.
MAKING THE TERIYAKI ROLL:
- On a flat surface, place the nori wrapper on top of the bamboo rolling mat.
- Wet your fingers with water then spread the sushi rice evenly onto the nori wrapper.
- With your hands, carefully turn the wrapper with rice upside down. Now, the nori wrapper is on top.
- Place slices of chicken teriyaki on the bottom part of the nori wrapper.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds to the teriyaki roll. Use the mat to make the seeds to stick nicely to the rice. Pull away the mat and set aside.
- Trim the edge of the rolled sushi then cut the cylinder in half using a sharp knife.
- Slice each half crosswise into 3 to 4 equal pieces.
- Repeat steps 9-16 until all the sushi rice is consumed.
- Serve with wasabi and soy sauce.