- 1 lb squid, cleaned
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 pcs calamansi
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- cooking oil, for deep-frying
- Cut the cleaned squid tubes into rings and leave the tentacles whole. Put into a bowl.
- Squeeze calamansi juice to the squid. Give it a mix then let sit for 30 minutes. This will tenderise the squid.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well. (You can adjust the amount of paprika, salt, and pepper according to your taste.) Transfer half of this mixture to another bowl.
- Place the three bowls on the table in this order: spiced flour – evaporated milk – spiced flour.
- Dredge squid into the first bowl of spiced flour. Next to the bowl of milk. Lastly, to the second bowl of spiced flour. Repeat these steps for the remaining pieces of squid.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep pan or pot. Deep-fry the calamares in batches until golden brown.
- Remove from heat then drain excess oil using tissue papers or a strainer.
- Serve with vinegar dip and enjoy your calamares!