This one is a scene-stealer. Your home will come to life in this homemade Jollibee chicken joy recipe!
Cooking Pinoy wants to give you the best recipes! And this one, although simple, will always be a kid’s favorite. SO if you have a child to feed at home, then keep on reading. This one might help you.
Chicken joy is the most popular fried chicken in the Philippines. It is a bestseller from the known fast food chain Jollibee. How do they describe this dish? Best fried chicken! Crispylicious, juicylicious! Perfectly seasoned, crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the outside! Who will not love that? This recipe will let you enjoy a delicious meal in the comfort of your home. No need to go outside or have it delivered. having this homemade recipe is a cheaper option.
Fried chicken is usually coated with a seasoned batter and then fried, whether pan-fried, deep fried, or pressure fried. It is also coated with breading to add crisp. In this recipe, it will not just be about the batter. The chicken will be rubbed with salt and pepper to make sure that the taste seeps into the very meat, not just the skin. To ensure that the meat is cooked, you can prick the chicken with a toothpick for 3-5 times before frying. This will allow the chicken to be evenly cooked. No one wants a crispy chicken on the outside but raw and still bloody on the inside.
How about the spice to be used? Are you familiar with five-spice powder? You can find it in grocery stores. You can also try doing your own by mixing equal amount of the following: star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and fennel seeds. They are the common mix, but ginger root, turmeric, nutmeg, or Mandarin orange peel can also be added.
Ready to bring happiness into your home? Enjoy!
- 2 kilos chicken, your choice cuts
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
- For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. five spice powder or ngohiong powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt, adjust if necessary
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub and press each chicken with the salt and pepper so all the pieces is evenly coated.
- Next, to make the breading, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients using a fork until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep frying pan for about 175°C.
- Coat a piece of chicken with the breading inside and out. Coat underneath the skin as well.
- Do it by pressing each chicken with the breading then shake off excess breading and fry it.
- Depending on the size of your fryer and the size of your chicken, you can put 4 to 5 pieces per batch.
- Just don’t overcrowd the fryer to avoid the fried chicken to become soggy and loose it’s crispiness.
- Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes in medium fire.
- Put the chicken in a paper towel or a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite gravy. Enjoy!