Easy Chowking Braised Beef Rice Bowl Recipe
- 500 g beef brisket, cut into cubes
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and cut round (about 1 inch thick)
- ½ tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 3 cups water
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 pcs star anise
- 4 pcs cloves
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 medium- sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Chopped spring onions (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Pour and heat the cooking oil in a pot (with lid) over medium heat.
- When the oil gets hot enough, saute the garlic and onion until slightly tender.
- Add- in the chunks of beef and sear the meat in hot oil on all sides, for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add- in the rest of the ingredients (except for the carrots, cornstarch ,and spring onions) and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with lid and turn the heat to low.
- Let it cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until the meat becomes tender (add some water if beef is not yet tender at this point).
- Add- in the carrots and cornstarch mixture and boil the sauce for about 5 minutes or until reduced and becomes thick. Remove from heat.
- Prepare steamed rice in bowls, top with braised beef, and garnish with some chopped spring onions. Enjoy!