Beef Pochero Recipe
- 2 kilos beef shank
- (I source my meat supply from the Monterey shop of my friend Cristina Javelosa-Gamboa in B.S.Aquino Drive, Bacolod.)
- ½ pc.small cabbage, whole leaf individually detached
- 1 bundle pechay
- 1 bundle string beans
- 3 pcs. corn, each cut into 3 parts
- 5 pcs. bananas (sab-a variety), sliced into 2 pcs. each
- 2 pcs. medium-sized sweet potato (kamote) or potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 34 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons *fish sauce or “patis” – optional
- (*my Tagalog mother taught me to use “Patis Rufina”)
- In a big cooking pot, pour in water and bring to a boil.
- Put in the beef shank, followed by the onion and whole peppercorn then,
- simmer for 1-hour-and-a-half or until meat is tender.*
- (*Note: If you’re in a hurry, you can use a pressure cooker
- ~ cooking the meat will take all of 30 minutes,
- instead of 1 hour-and-a-half!) ☺
- Add the corn,bananas and sweet potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for at least another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce or “patis”, cabbage, string beans, pechay, and green onions (onion leeks).
- Serve hot.